The s parameters of a balun ( three port) are:
s12 = -s13 = s21 = -s31 and,
s11 = -infinity.
What does this mean in terms of conceptual understanding? The interpretation of these s parameter statements are:
- A balun is a three port device with a matched input and differential outputs.
- A balun is a three port power splitter
- The two outputs from a balun are equal in amplitude but opposite in phase.
- The voltage of one balanced output is the negative of the other balanced output.
- The input is matched to the input transmission line.
- The usual impedance is 50 Ohms. But it could be something else.
- A balun is a reciprocal device. Its output and inputs may be exchanged
For more technical articles and information please visit our website at: www.signalpro.biz.